You will have significant experiences.
I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of
them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh
your memory of these meaningful and significant things.
Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you.
Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some
may build upon another until they represent a lifetime of
special experiences.
- Gordon B Hinckley

Monday, October 10, 2011

Everett Turns Two!!!

Now & Then

A letter to my son on his second birthday...

My Dearest Everett,

As I rocked you to sleep tonight, on the eve of your second birthday, I couldn’t help but remember the first time I held you and how much has changed since then.  The first time I held you, your head fit perfectly in the space between my chin and chest.  As I held you tonight, we rocked cheek-to-cheek, as you are now so big that you barely fit on my lap.  In that moment, in the dark quiet of your room, I shed one tear…one tear for everything that could have been, and isn’t…one tear for everything that you are and for all the love that I have for you.

In this year, you have blossomed.  If Daddy and I had any lingering fears about your capacities or capabilities, you have certainly blown those concerns out of the water!!!  At one year old, you were just sitting up and rolling was your mode of transportation.  Now, at two, you are walking, running and climbing your way through life.  You never sit still…NEVER!  As if you are making up for those six months of lying in a hospital bed, your curiosity keeps you constantly moving.  We are exhausted from chasing you.  But we wouldn’t have it any other way!

Your first word was “Dada,” much to my dismay.  But it was shortly followed by “Mama” and a handful of other words.  Now your regular vocabulary includes 20+ words, with new ones debuting each day.  You are a quiet child…when it comes to speaking, anyway.  You save your words until you feel comfortable and new words are said at a whisper.  However, you LOVE to scream…just having discovered the modulation of your voice.  Unfortunately, this means restaurants are no longer a possibility so it is lots of home cooked meals for our family.  You feed yourself now.  You are one messy eater, a trait Daddy says you get from me.  You tend to shovel food into your mouth rather than intentionally place it there.   And you are just getting the hang of drinking from a cup. 

You do not shy away from strangers.  In fact, you are quite the flirt.  Upon meeting new people you are all smiles and giggles.  You freely give kisses and hugs.  Jack may be your favorite toy :-)  You are fascinated with children who are older than you.  You watch them with great intent and then try to imitate their mannerisms.  You want so badly to be so grown up.  You don’t understand that there are things that you cannot do just yet (like walk down stairs).  You are fearless. 

Out of that fearlessness comes frustration for the things that you cannot do.  Tantrums are commonplace in our house now.  These past few months have been challenging.  You understand so much more than you can communicate, and I think that upsets you.  You still listen (most of the time) when we tell you “no.”  When you don’t, I try to discipline you but find it hard because you often try to smile and kiss your way out of trouble.  More times than I’d like to admit…it works.  When you get an idea in your head, you pretty much stick with it until completion.  You are tenacious…not that we would have expected you to be any other way.  Your tenacity is what has kept you alive and allowed you to thrive. 

We have never taken one day of your life for granted.  Nor have we ever taken for granted all the things that you are able to do.  We give thanks to God everyday for you, your life, and everything that you are because your life could be so much different…so much harder.  We are thankful for the things that are, but we are also thankful for the things that are not.  Your birthday is always an emotional time.  I wonder when that will change but somehow I already know that it never will.  The day of your birth was the beginning of my love for you.  Every day since, I find another reason to love you even more.  Happy 2nd Birthday to our precious boy.

Love,

Mama and Daddy

One Year Old

Two Years Old

No comments:

Post a Comment